During my address on the opening day of this session, I expressed hope the Senate would govern wisely and take action to make life better on the bread-and-butter issues that Iowans face every day.
I noted that – in recent years – the Legislature has worked together in a bipartisan manner on policies that were designed to:
- Create jobs and broaden economic prosperity across our state.
- Create more educational opportunities for Iowans.
- Expand access to health care and make it more affordable.
- Improve public safety for families, neighborhoods and communities.
- Help safeguard our people and our property from disasters.
With that in mind, I pledged on the first day of the session that Senate Democrats would focus on real solutions to real problems.
I specifically cited six real problems that need to be addressed: